Monday, October 22, 2018

Proto Podcasts

I haven't gotten much feedback yet about the video I made, except that it isn't working for some people. I can confirm that, while it plays on my computer, it seems to never load on mobile. The issue seems to be with Bitchute itself, which uses webtorrent behind the scenes. Apparently the issue can be resolved by setting up a webtorrent client and seeding the video myself, although currently all I have is my laptop, so that isn't something I can fix up straight away. It's not clear to me why Bitchute would seed for non-mobile only, but that seems to be the deal. For now, the only way to view might be to use a computer.

I've begun using Bitchute a lot myself, and have seen the beauty of the vlog or podcast, which is that you can passively listen to it in the background while engaged in other tasks. I've been listening to the Jocko podcast while at the gym. The problem with the gym isn't so much that it's physically difficult as that it is mentally boring. Podcast fixes that. You don't have to be sedentary or nonproductive to listen. With Bitchute, I can play it in the background or even on my side monitor at work when engaged in more mundane tasks. Moldbug calls books proto-blogs, which were produced when publishing and printing were big undertakings. With free and instant online publishing, authors can focus on bit-sized segments, span a wider array of topics, and not have to worry - mostly - about kowtowing to advertisers or editors. Similarly, blogs are like proto podcasts and vlogs. (And even newer to the scene is the video livestream.) Why serialize human speech to text when we now have the power to deliver it directly? I resisted these newfangled techs and even mocked e-books, because it seemed like a confession of semi-literacy to need to have books read aloud. However, after giving it a try it became obvious that the human mind is designed for speech and we can focus and digest complicated thoughts more easily via audio. Text, ultimately, is a proxy for speech, and more demanding. Now you don't have to carve out a portion of your evening to learn why progressivism = communism. You can do so while driving, mowing the lawn (where I get a good number of blog ideas), or at the gym.

I plan to start doing videos of each of my posts, so that people can consume it however they like. For now, they will only be on Bitchute. I really hesitate to fall back to Youtube or Vimeo or any platform that engages in political censorship. If you have a specific request for format, or to put it on YouTube or a podcast service, feel free to comment or send me an email. As always, the diet starts tomorrow, and so do the video casts.

No comments:

Post a Comment